Monday, January 17, 2011

Who knew subluxes could be helpful?

It was for me the other night. Well, I'm sure I technically shouldn't have done it. But any mama with a sick baby will bend over backwards for their child, and I had to, quite literally.

My kids are luckily very healthy in general. I think it's a mixture of my breastfeeding them for almost 28 months (YES, proud to say it, and you probably didn't know that is how long it is recommended by most health organizations anyway, did you? Fact o' the day right there) and also my belief (which is scientifically supported) that a little dirt is good for you.

However, we rolled snake-eyes this week and all of us have been sick with a bizarre illness that only reaches minor levels of practically every symptom across the board- No diarrhea or vomiting, but a sour, iffy stomach, no profound fatigue, just slight malaise, no major fever, just a little clammy, no major sinus issue, just a slightly sore throat and minor drainage, etc. Maybe it was a weak flu? We haven't had the flu shot. Really, who knows. Either way, it was not a big deal at all. We were all almost over it, but poor Os last night...well, his drainage was freely flowing and stuff, and I didn't think much of it, but he developed a terrible, crackly, raspy cough last night. Poor Bub couldn't get any sleep. And they are both such cuddlers, I had to lay beside him and let him snuggle and cuddle all night. He kept twisting and turning and rolling and flipping. And rubbing my skin all over. He and Matilda both have this habit. For Tilly, it's ears and cheeks, but especially earlobes. She just rubs them, incessantly at times. And not her own- other people's ears. Oscar does the same, but for elbow skin and bellies. He wanted desperately to rub my elbow skin. A normal person would not be able to lay down and sleep and have their elbow positioned where that skin is all loose and relaxed. However, I have Ehlers Danlos, and was able to sublux my shoulder, which is my worst joint actually, and he was able to rub that elbow skin to his little heart's content and finally was comforted enough to fall asleep.

I know, I know- it isn't good for me to do that, it causes further damage to my ligaments and stuff. But I am his mama, he needed comforting.

2 comments:

Jette said...

That is so funny! My son is 17 now, but since he is autistic he still has a fascination with touching things that feel interesting. He discovered as a young boy that he loved the way the back of my arms feel. Like many EDSers, my skin is riddled with deep, scar-like stretchmarks, and the back of my flabby arms is loaded with them. The skin is super-soft (also an EDS trait), but is ridged, and he thinks it is the most fascinating thing to "stroke"!

Melina said...

Thanks for your comments!

Gillion: Luckily, our coughs and drainage was gone fairly quickly. We used the Hylands Honey Cough Syrup, it was the most effective. Definitely buying that again, if we get sick with something similar.

Jette: Yeah, I have those stretch marks too. It feels like someone has taken a razor to the backs of my arms! I also have the lovely condition (NOT) called keratosis pilaris. AKA chicken skin. I can't catch a break skinwise. It's all pebbly and red and itchy and just icky looking.